Banyan Security FAQWhat is Banyan Security Zero Trust Remote Access?
What does Banyan Security do?
Today’s computing world has become truly perimeter-free. Remote employees and contractors in coffee shops, airports, and homes access internal applications running in multiple public clouds, connecting to other cloud applications and enterprise data centers. Mobility, containers, and public and private clouds have unleashed innovation like never before.
Yet this creates tremendous challenges for securing this ever-growing and interconnected access surface to protect information, ensure compliance, catalyze innovation, and deliver an outstanding user experience.
At Banyan Security, we help IT and Security teams successfully deliver modern secure remote access to both today and the next generation of users and applications.
Banyan Security’s ZTNA solution – Banyan Security Zero Trust Remote Access provides simple, least-privilege, multi-cloud application access and enforces least-privileged access to applications and services in real-time, leveraging your existing enterprise identity and security tool investments. Built on a patented Zero Trust architecture, the Banyan solution transparently deploys in hybrid and multi-cloud environments, continuously enforcing trust-based access policies based on any combination of user, device, and application contexts.
How does Banyan Security Zero Trust Remote Access work?
Banyan makes access to private networks easy and secure for everyone, from small teams to global enterprises. Here’s how it works:
- Users connect to their corporate resources via Banyan’s globally-distributed high-performance edge network. A Banyan Connector deployed in your on-premise or cloud environment dials out to create a secure tunnel with Banyan’s Global Edge Network, needing no inbound firewall rules or complex DMZ architectures.
- With the Banyan Cloud Command Center, admins use a SaaS management interface to publish private applications and services for their end users. Access policies are written in human-readable syntax based on user identity and device trust, and integrated with corporate identity and device security tools.
- Users get one-click access to their private resources via the browser and the Banyan app. The app allows users to register their devices and view their catalog of corporate resources.
Can I replace my legacy VPN with Banyan Security Zero Trust Remote Access?
Yes! Banyan’s Zero Trust solution provides seamless remote access to employees and third-parties while eliminating massive security gaps, streamlining IT management, and removing choke-points for your users.
Banyan Security Zero Trust Remote Access enforces least-privileged access to applications and services in real-time, leveraging your existing enterprise identity and security tool investments. Built on a patented Zero Trust architecture, the Banyan solution transparently deploys in hybrid and multi-cloud environments, continuously enforcing trust-based access policies based on any combination of user, device, and application contexts.
Can I deploy ZTNA and keep my existing VPN?
No problem! Banyan Security Zero Trust Remote access can be deployed alongside existing infrastructure – no need to rip and replace. Banyan offers an incremental “deploy-as-you-go” model for admins and users that includes co-existence with VPNs, one app or service at a time, permissive mode (learning) vs. enforcing, and more.
Is an endpoint client required for Banyan Security Zero Trust Remote Access?
The Banyan Security solution can be fully deployed without an endpoint client; however, you get some important benefits by using the lightweight Banyan app. Banyan delivers a robust Device Trust solution featuring passwordless access that takes advantage of a lightweight app that can be easily installed by the end user or silently deployed by the administrators. Unlike MDM and UEM products, the Banyan app does not provide any administrative control over the end user’s personal device, making it attractive for employer-owned and BYOD (employees, contractors, etc.) devices alike.
What is the Banyan app? Is it required?
The Banyan app is a cross-platform endpoint client, installed on end user desktop and mobile devices. The app is used to register and authenticate end user devices with the Banyan Cloud Command Center. Note that the Banyan app is optional on MDM-managed devices on which you can install a Device Certificate via your device manager.
The Banyan app allows users to self-register devices and enjoy one-click access to a personalized catalog of corporate resources (websites, applications, services, infrastructure, etc.)
Should users be concerned about privacy with the Banyan app?
The Banyan app was developed with privacy in mind.
How do I manage the Banyan Security Zero Trust Remote Access solution?
The Banyan Cloud Command Center is the central management console for IT Administrators and Security teams. You can interact with the Command Center via the web portal or the RESTful API, to develop and enforce policies, configure alerts for security events and visualize real-time connectivity.
The Cloud Command Center is a SaaS platform, connected with your enterprise identity provider, that lets users write granular policies based on user and device entitlements. The Command Center issues short-lived tokens and certificates, offering one-click access to applications and resources, while also ensuring every access granted is continuously authenticated and authorized.
What kind of automation capabilities are available in Banyan Security Zero Trust Remote Access?
- Discover and Publish provides a streamlined way to secure access to hybrid and multi-cloud infrastructure. Banyan Security is providing customers with the following benefits:
- Improved time to value – Banyan Security provides a quick and effective way to create least-privileged access to your infrastructure and services.
- Scalable IaaS access management – Banyan Security provides a modern, consistent way to manage access to IaaS workloads across any cloud.
- RESTful APIs from Banyan automate security policies
- Terraform Support – Terraform is an “infrastructure as code” tool that lets users define corporate resources in human-readable configuration files. A Terraform Provider is a plugin that lets users manage external APIs, facilitating Terraform’s communications with various cloud providers, databases, and services. Learn more here.
How do I get started?
Banyan can help you identify a meaningful remote access project and configure your environment for a Zero Trust security posture. And best of all, it is designed for an incremental rollout in any environment, integrating with existing EDR, MDM/UEM, and SIEM solutions. You can even deploy it alongside your existing VPN as you evolve your network infrastructure.
Can I really deploy Banyan Security’s solution in less than 15 minutes?
Yes! You can get Banyan Security’s Zero Trust Remote Access solution installed, deployed and adding value in less than 15 minutes. Here’s a video showing Dr. Chase Cunningham deploying the Banyan solution in his environment.
Why choose Banyan Security Zero Trust Remote Access?
- Easy to deploy and use – most folks are up and running in 15 minutes or less, delivering an end-user experience that is superior to other forms of remote access.
- Actionable insights – Banyan offers actionable insights through deep visibility into the applications, services, users, devices, and activity that are present, which permits superior control and accountability.
- High security – the Banyan Security solution is built on a foundation of zero trust principles that dramatically improve your organization’s security posture. These features include least privilege access, continuous authorization that leverages real-time device posture and trust, user trust, and resource sensitivity as defined in granular policy controls.