Legacy VPN Replacement75% of enterprises today are in some form of hybrid cloud deployment. Providing a seamless remote access solution that traverses this complex environment is a huge IT and security challenge.
As enterprises progress on their digital transformation journey, they must enable secure remote access across their on-premises and cloud deployments. Network-centric solutions like traditional VPNs (Virtual Private Networks) are not designed to meet modern organizations’ scale, performance, and usability needs, especially with complex hybrid cloud environments.
Legacy VPNs create a huge security liability as they offer overly-broad access to sensitive corporate networks and permit the kind of lateral movement that adversaries use for cyber attacks like malware, ransomware, and other illegal activity.
Securely providing true “work from anywhere” access to resources for an increasingly diverse workforce (employees, contractors, partners, etc.) from a multitude of devices has exceeded the capabilities of traditional VPNs.
And while VPN vendors have begun to roll-out “next generation” technology as a stop-gap, it is becoming increasingly apparent that organizations are moving away from these legacy VPNs toward strategies and frameworks based on zero trust security.
- No centralized way to secure IaaS, on-premises, and SaaS applications especially if applications can move across clouds.
- Complex network-level policies to segment access, which have to be constantly updated to match dynamic user and application environments.
Massive Security Gap
- Legacy VPN solutions grant full access to network resources, allowing malicious actors with VPN access to move laterally across the corporate ecosystem.
- One-time authentication approaches fail to provide real-time detection or enforcement of detected abnormal activity.
Poor Performance & Scale
- Due to deployment complexity, users experience performance delays and are often unable to access applications due to VPN connectivity issues.
- VPNs can be very expensive to acquire, maintain, and upgrade.
The Superior Solution: Banyan Zero Trust Remote Access
Banyan offers the most seamless secure remote access solution for your hybrid cloud environment. As opposed to inflexible VPNs which are complex to deploy and provide poor security, Banyan’s comprehensive Zero Trust Network Access (ZTNA) solution scales to your hybrid and multi-cloud demands. Banyan’s VPN alternative is designed to give you the highest security posture by offering deployment flexibility for any IaaS and on-premises environment, Banyan enables enterprises to own their data plane while offering simple management.
Three key building blocks are brought together in the Banyan Zero Trust Access solution.
First, we offer Trust Scoring for quantification of user, device, and contextual factors to determine risk.
Next, we provide continuous authorization of access via our Cloud Command Center.
And finally we offer real-time, decentralized access policy enforcement based on the principle of least privilege.
Improved Security Posture
- Own your data plane and provide differentiated access based on user, device, and other relevant attributes
- Integrate with your existing PKI infrastructure / CAs to completely control the confidentiality and privacy of your data
Massive Management Simplicity
- Homogeneous experience whether servers are deployed in IaaS or on-premises
- Simplified experience whether IaaS, on-premises, or SaaS applications using our as-a-service Banyan offering
Seamless & Fast User Experience
- Direct access to servers deployed on private clouds or Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
- Supports general TCP protocols like MySQL
The Banyan Approach
As enterprises increasingly move to hybrid and multi-cloud environments, only Banyan offers a single platform to address the security risks and challenges of secure remote access for this ecosystem. The platform extends across on-premises to public cloud ecosystems enabling true management simplicity while offering the highest level of security posture.
The figure above shows in Steps 1-4 that access control checks are performed out of band to create a quantified trust score-based access paradigm matching with predefined least privilege access policies.
Step 3 is an example of an integration with tools like SSO and MDM to ensure that existing tools can be leveraged to generate a trust score.
Step 5 shows that access is granted, and the data path is direct to the application across clouds seamlessly.
Key Features for VPN Replacement
- Integrate with your cloud infrastructure in AWS, Azure, GCP, or VMware and leverage their auto-scaling load balancers and DDoS protection systems
- Write human-readable policies for differentiated access leveraging easy-to-use templates. Underneath the hood, a hybrid RBAC/ABAC system allows you to write highly custom policies, if needed
- Passwordless access to application/servers